Friday, July 29, 2016

Old Stomping Grounds

Bjärred, Sweden -- Day 2


Dex stayed up past midnight last night reading his Percy Jackson book, and, as a result, slept in until just past 10:00. We enjoyed the slow morning, though, getting to meet the family bunnies (Lotta and Linus), playing a fun version of croquet-soccer (Croccer), and swimming in the pool.





The only activity planned for the day was a drive to see the old "stomping grounds," the nearby university town of Lund, where I had spent my junior year in college and, most importantly, met Björn in the Alte Kamareren student band.
Band Poster
The biggest surprise was how much I didn't recognize of Lund. This was likely due to the significant expansion and building since I was there.
It could also be the intervening 30 years had something to do with my fuzzy recollection. As the day went on, I also started to realize that as a poor student, working double time to keep up in an unfamiliar language, I didn't actually get out and about very much. The second-hand, one-speed bike I'd bought, was my only form of transportation. Björn asked whether I had been to certain places in town -- concert halls, restaurants, nearby tourist attractions. The answer -- inevitably -- was no. I had, instead, saved my limited resources for a couple whirlwind trips to mainland Europe during the fall, winter and spring breaks.


We walked by the dorm building where I had lived and took pictures in front of the band room door, a nondescript entrance at the corner of the building leading down to the small and cramped practice room (originally, a bomb shelter). The town square and 900-year-old "Domkyrkan" cathedral, rounded out the tour.  



The rest of the day was spent at home playing games, ping pong, eating dinner, and enjoying the calm evening weather with drinks on the upstairs deck. We are lucky, indeed!
Meg's favorite tradition:  Fika




No comments:

Post a Comment